Friday, November 17, 2017

Upstairs, Downstairs; Exit through the Gift Shop: Downton Abbey on Display

I confess that I adored the first two seasons of Downton Abbey, but it became too Melrose Place-among-the-Hounds for me after that. Still, I can appreciate the detailed costumes and example of gracious living that was set.

So, then, it would be a pleasure to visit Downton Abbey: The Exhibition, which looks to be set in the old Lee's Art Shop building, 218 W 57th. (I loved going to Lee's during my twice-a-year pilgrimages to New York.)


And fittingly, I bought my Solar Jubilee Queen there as well.


But this is not about tchotchkes, for at Downton Abbey: The Exhibition, one can luxuriate in the familiar good company of Mrs. Patmore's kitchen, Lady Mary's dressing table, and the iconic Downton pull-bells. Sets and clothing are on full display.



But as Lady Grantham knows well, keeping Downton running comes at a cost. And instead of benefitting from one American heiress, Downton Abbey: The Exhibition will invite many--whether landed gentry or nouveau riche--into its gift shop to help, as I imagine, keep the displays on parade.

Maybe there will even be some Solar Lady Sybils and Solar Mr. Bateses in shop!

No comments: