Monday, December 16, 2019

Replacing Beloved Clothes: J Crew, Max Mara--and Searching for Those from J Peterman That Got Away

When I find something I love to wear, I wear it again and again, to the point that it often wears out. That used to be the end of the story, but one benefit of the internet is that I can sometimes find that very item online, for sale, some 15–20 years later.

For instance, I bought a tweed overcoat from Max Mara shortly after having my second daughter, seventeen years ago. Last year I bound the wrist cuffs in Liberty of London because of fraying; I am about to do the same to a button hole. And I am awaiting for olive green velvet elbow patches to arrive.

On a whim, I took a quick look at some online resell sites and was surprised and delighted to find my very coat in great shape, my size, for a modest price, but already sold. Then I found it on another site in a smaller size and five times the price. But it gives me hope!

I also bought, a number of years ago, some J Crew boyfriend-style stripey cashmere sweaters, which I love beyond sweaterdom itself. And so I was thrilled to find several on the web--one of which I bought in a different colourway and others I'm keeping an eye on.

But there are also some original purchases that got away, and it may be those that I yearn for the most. I've written about this before, but J Peterman made what I remember being called a Gstaad jacket--asymmetrical zip, shearling collar, smart belt--and I cannot turn up an image of it.

I was luckier when I located the Beacon Hill, 1913, dress pictured at the top. I couldn't recall its name, but "Edith Wharton" was in the description. Even though I cannot find it for sale anywhere, I am temporarily satisfied to have the image.

Do gentle readers yearn to replace a beloved but perhaps worn-out garment? Are there garments you wish you had bought and search for years later?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

In the fall I bought two J. Crew blazers (one camel corduroy, one salmon velvet) from about 15 years ago. I'd always loved the particular style of them and found tons being sold online (Poshmark, eBay, Etsy, etc...) for a song. I had to limit myself to those two because I really don't need any more jackets. :)

Best of luck with your quest!

Miss Cavendish said...

Salmon velvet in particular sounds divine! Since I posted I found another of my favourite J Crew turtlenecks in a colourway I didn't know existed. Happy New Year!

Dgeldof said...

Hello; I stumbled on your blog while doing some research on a secondhand clothing find. I am 99% sure I've found your beloved J. Peterman Gstaad jacket! I had no idea about the model history, but the combination of features on the coat were so compelling that I snatched it up instantly.

I'm a secondhand reseller, so if it fits you, I'd absolutely part with it. Feel free to email me!