Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Woven Bags (Via Mail Bag, Colombia Collective) and Salt Straps


Remember that 2019 article in the NYT about Park Slope mums' new uniform: clogs and Salt bag straps? It came to mind the other day when I saw a gorgeous collection of woven totes from Italy, each with a Salt-like strap.

I do love woven totes. I purchased my most beloved one at a long-gone boutique on Sparks Street. It had a generous woven bowl and the final third was soft leather, secured by a drawstring. The tote had two long handles that I could put each arm through and carry the tote as a modified backpack as I biked through town. I carried my workout gear in it and even my schoolbooks, until it finally wore out.

These first two totes (above and below) are more refined (I wouldn't stuff them with workout gear) as they look to be more for wallets, etc. They are by ViaMailBag and I discovered them, ironically enough, considering yesterday's post, through a pop-up ad for Mirta on social media.

The next totes are by Colombia Collective and come as an oversized basket (think laundry hamper) or a carry tote. These I discovered this morning through Vanity Fair, as they are a favorite of Hermés creative director.


Have any readers adopted a Salt strap for their bag? I have a slim, fairly large LV mailbag that I'm considering one for. My strap isn't removable, so I guess I'd just tuck it inside the roomy bag itself.  So: add some salt or is the bag seasoned enough?



2 comments:

Sue said...

I really like the last two bags shown from CC. Tip top summer baskets. Have you come across mmaa social bags? They have an instagram account and some of them are quite similar in feel. I hadn't heard of Salt before but could def be tempted by the narrower straps to convert a small bag to crossbody. xx sue

Miss Cavendish said...

There are indeed some lovely baskets by Mmaa Social! Thank you for the suggestion :-).