Sunday, November 7, 2010

Your Mother's Bag

"Not your mother's" (or "Na-cho mama's" chez mes trois enfants) is a common catchphrase in advertising.

Indeed, it's not unusual to see an editorial borrowing this phrase.

While filing through the mountaneous pile of seasonal catalogues that has been arriving steadily since Nov. 1, I leafed through a new Harper's Bazaar and was struck by an item that was very much my mother's: a gorgeous, structured, boxy handbag.

Made by Roger Vivier, this bag is, to my mind, perfectly grown up, and reminds me of something my mum would have carried while wearing a matching coat and dress, her hair in a chignon.

So here's an instance where my children say "Yo mama!" and I'll happily agree.

6 comments:

Belle de Ville said...

I am happy to see the return of reasonable size handbags after years of seeing handbags that can double as luggage.
Motherly or grandmotherly perhaps, but the boxy structure was practical, helping to protect the contents of the handbag.

WendyB said...

I was recently laughing hysterically with someone over that "nacho mama's" thing. I must have been drunk!

La Belette Rouge said...

I would happily be mistaken as a mama if I could have that bag. Gorgeous!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

This is a great bag...and I love the colour... a bit of a retro vibe here.

Toby Wollin said...

Heh. Not only would my mom have carried that bag, she'd have had it in lizard. With matching shoes.

Make Do Style said...

That bag is to die for xx