Friday, January 5, 2018

Miss C on Toogood Clothing for Selvedge Magazine

I've just received PDFs for my Selvedge Magazine story on Faye and Erica Toogood, British sisters who "make" (not "design") a smart line of unisex, utilitarian clothing for their Toogood label.

The outerwear, for instance, is named for different workers--there's the beekeeper, cheesemonger, photographer, etc.--and all garments are made from "honest," authentic fabric like waxed cotton or parachute silk (their grandmother used to stitch her own lingerie from such silk during World War II).


 What truly captured my imagination was the Spring 2018 silk J-Cloth print (from the "Domestic"collection; not pictured). Did or do any readers use J-Cloths to clean with? I remember them well from my childhood on Prince Edward Island, and wearing that print would bring back fond memories of my mum and grandmother's countertops.

And I really, truly did resist a pun while writing this story until the very last line, but, well, it was Toogood not to use. Happy New Year!












No comments: