Thursday, April 5, 2007

Bento Box quilt











I've never been a matchy-matchy person. The very idea of an "outfit"--you know, something that's meant to go together, or something that's carefully thought out--makes me squirm. I think I fall into more of the English Eccentric mode, happy to wear mismatching patterns, content to be put together in a non-put-together way.



So I was very happy to dig into my stash of fabric and begin a completely unplanned quilt. I just don't like going to the fabric shop and choosing fabrics that will complement each other--too matchy-matchy for me. Rather, I like "found" fabrics, things I've had in my cupboard for awhile that engage in various conversations with other fabrics.



Here too, I'd rather not use groupings from one fabric designer. When I see quilts in shop windows, and they are supposed to have a bohemian flair but all fabrics come from the same designer, then all of a sudden it doesn't seem so radical to mix the plaid with the flowers because--they're from the same color chart.



For this Bento Box quilt top, I've used my three favs--Anna Maria, Heather, and Amy (see links in an earlier post) and am adding bits from other, nameless collections too. I love how all the fabrics work together, especially because they aren't supposed to do so . . .

2 comments:

Henry and Mom said...

I have always admired your non-matchy-matchy style, Miss Cavendish! And this stunning quilt is a perfect example of why!

J said...

Those blocks are so pretty!

I found you via Melissa Morris's blog and as an aspiring quilter myself. I love how you've paired those fabrics together...there is something so similar about the aesthetics of those three designers yet I would have never thought of combining them like that.