Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Selvedge Article: Miss C on the "New Demure"

I was delighted to write a piece called "Thoroughly Modern Modesty: The Allure of the New Demure," for Selvedge, the lovely London magazine.




And in a complete contradiction, I am immodest enough to post a peek of the issue here.




The paper magazines have not yet reached my book shop, so I've decided to subscribe online, and the images come from that edition (Jan/Feb, issue 44).


Many thanks to my two wonderful sources for this article, American scholar and poet Dr. Ann Hostetler, as well as London stylist and delightful blogger Kate Battrick, who responded so quickly and who offered such useful information!

9 comments:

Jane in SF said...

How lovely and what beautiful photographs. I'll try to track it down in my corner of the world.

Miss Cavendish said...

Thank you, Jane. It was great fun to think about clothing in this context!

Elizabeth said...

I'm going to try to find it, too. This is superb!

Miss Cavendish said...

Thank you, Elizabeth. One of my favourite designers, Ivan Grundahl (pictured far right in the final image), is wonderfully creative with "demure" dressing.

materfamilias said...

Now you've got me tempted to subscribe to this magazine. I've seen you link to it before -- it looks positively sumptuous and I'd love to read your piece. Gorgeous photographs!

Miss Cavendish said...

Mater, Selvedge was my favorite magazine long before I began writing for it!

L'age moyen said...

Frankly, one can only hope that a new wave of modesty might flow. As the mother of a young teenager I describe my anger, frustration and disbelief at the manner in which these young girls are presenting themselves. And the clothes are designed to facilitate this. T-shirt v so low that they have to wear something underneath, and only if they have the sort of mother who tells them to - which I am. Could it be possible - modesty as 'in'?

LPC said...

Congratulations! I wish I could read it here - but will look for a version my old eyes can make out.

Polly Leonard said...

Hello Miss Cavendish, we thought you might like to hear this radio clip from The Review on Monocle 24, which mentions the article http://ow.ly/9xeXl