Thursday, February 16, 2012

Soccer Mums 2012 by Victoria Beckham

I don't like the word "Mom"; never have, never will.  I grew up with "Mum," which has a softer sound, unlike the foghorn-esque "Mawm" sound of the former. 

Add "soccer" as an adjective, and I bristle. 

Not because I am uncomfortable with the concept of mothers taking their children to and fro soccer games, but because the term's used in a dismissive way.  (And women who kindly chauffeur their children are pretty bloody cool, in my mind.)

Having a son who plays soccer has opened up a world of soccer gear to me, especially soccer jerseys (I once found myself irrationally full of desire for a man's hot pink goalkeeper's jersey, with quilted elbows, size XL). 

But once I come to my senses, I realize that I do not want to trot around like Sporty Spice, unless I'm actually kicking a ball. 

However, for those of us who love athletic wear, Victoria Beckham has designed a terrific series of dresses that borrows stripes and collars from soccer jerseys.

Ahh, the perfect pointy collar!

 Would these indulge your secret inner soccer star? Mum's the word!


Elizabeth said...

YES. I was fantasizing that if I ever needed dresses, these would be the ones. You and I had all the same favorites.

Miss Cavendish said...

Aren't they perfect? I really, really, really like these dresses . . .

Angie Muresan said...

I think these are some of the prettiest dresses I've seen lately. Wonder if one need be super thin to wear them, though.