Friday, November 24, 2017

Harp, She Wored

OK: these are not harpsichords, but returning gentle readers will know that I can't resist a pun once its taken hold of me.


They are lyres, from Gucci, and I think that they make the loveliest hair ornaments.

I did see a couple of harps this summer, while in Dublin. Our family of five had taken a train from Galway to Heuston Station, and were having difficulty finding a cab to fit us all, so we decided to walk to our accommodations, some 20 minutes away.


I am directionally challenged, so I started us out walking west instead of east, which added a good 20 minutes to our walk, and took us on a path that really was not suitable for rolling luggage and uncertain travelers.


We crossed a freeway, made twists and turns on tiny, tiny sidewalks, went up and down hills, and were relieved to see something we recognized: the Guinness Storehouse. Then as we trudged along further we saw the Arthur Guinness house and then Arthur's Pub. I'm not sure of the order of those last two, as my thoughts were focused on getting us to our apartment.




The next day, after feeling refreshed, we walked to Trinity College, where we saw the original Guinness harp, the Brian Boru's harp.


And full disclosure: I did not take these photos in Dublin. I was too focused on locating our accommodations and my hands were too blistered from lugging, well, luggage, to stop for a photo. I do have photos of the harp, but the Long Room was crowded that day and there are people surrounding the case. I'm no lyre.


2 comments:

materfamilias said...

I've been reading your recent posts, but not finding time to comment -- could NOT resist this one, though, with count 'em, not one but two outrageous puns. Your travels were obviously restorative, at least of your punning abilities (What does Buffy say, at one point? "If I were at full strength, I'd be punning right now" or something similar?
Is there a punning equivalent to the Blarney Stone in Ireland?

Miss Cavendish said...

Hello! Yes: the trip was utterly restorative. I felt happy, relaxed, and my eye was exposed to such beauty. But I need to watch Buffy; she's a gap in my pop culture compendium :-).