Thursday, December 12, 2019

Burberry "Bustier Boots" and Stella Jean

On rainy or snowy days, when I'm in a pair of good shoes and our poodledoodle* wants to go outside, I'll climb into a pair of Mr. C's footwear, good shoes and all, and clomp down the steps and around the corner to open the garden gate for monsieur.

It reminds me of my childhood, when galoshes were the rage. From kindergarten through at least Grade 2, maybe 3, I'd wear my "good" shoes inside a pair of overboots and go off to school, with heavy, cumbersome feet.

I was taken back to these moments when, perusing the Barneys sale yet again, I happened upon these Burberry boots that reinterpret the above scenarios for me: This time, a boot slips inside a shiny, patent mule.

To my eye, the result is a process: I go from being repulsed (ewww--mules) to being riveted and full of desire.

But why did I coin them "bustier boots" and not some homage to galoshes or husband-shoes? Because on the desirability side, they remind me of one of my favourite fashion looks: a strapless (bustier) dress over a blouse.

Stella Jean has pretty much patented this style, as seen in these images from different collections.





And if she's patented this style, I think that I really must get that patent mule–bustier boot style.















*He's 3/4 poodle and 1/4 golden retriever, so I've renamed him.


No comments: