Thursday, May 20, 2021

Christopher John Rogers' Oscar-Winning Dress

 

Well, maybe the dress itself didn't win the Oscar, but the woman wearing it did, and since this dress has sent me back to the blogosphere (because I can't stop thinking about it), it's clearly taken hold.

I love playful proportions, and while it seems that voluminous sleeves are setting sail this spring/summer, Christopher John Rogers has added an ideal touch of hot air balloon just below the waist of this dress. 

Then, taking a closer look, the textile actually looks boater casual--a sunny seersucker? I had a seersucker skirt suit once. It was beige and white, from Brooks Brothers, which must have been on Madison not too far from 42nd St. The skirt was a pencil; together with the jacket I felt too too. 

Indeed, I remember running out at lunchtime one day in this suit to search for a pair of shoes that would cut through its business-like earnestness. I returned to the office with a tall, chunky heel that sounds unappealing from this description, but which transformed the seersucker.

This dress, however, stands on its own.




No comments: