Friday, February 13, 2009

I'm Wooed: Jason Wu and Kara Walker

I’m intrigued that Jason Wu used a small Kara Walker-inspired print on some of his clothes for Fall 2009.

Walker is one of my favorite artists, and, if you’ve seen her work, you’ll know that she critiques the institution of slavery through the beautiful medium of silhouette cuts. I've posted about her before here.

There’s a tension, then, between the delicacy of the profiles she cuts and the horrors she depicts. I *really* wonder what Walker-inspired print Wu is using!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Interesting question. I'll have to research this!

Belle de Ville said...

I've posted about Kara Walker too...awesome stuff.
I'm not wowed by the clothes though.

Mary-Laure said...

How cool. Kara Walker is one of my favorite artists - loved her major retrospective in Paris last year.

Thanks to the answers to my questions, which you left on my blog. :)

Miss Cavendish said...

I find the clothes to be meh too, which is why I took a different approach to them!

The Spicers said...

I'm more interested in the Kara Walker angle than the clothes too. Just saw one of her pieces at the MFA Boston on a school field trip. Try explaining that to a group of 2nd graders!