Sunday, October 7, 2012

Carven a Turkey

Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving, and as I am living in the United States, I won't be celebrating till November (though I do plan to wear my red jeans to class).

Still, I couldn't help but indulge in a little holiday wordplay when I saw this beautiful dress by Carven in the New York Times.

See the basting on that bird?

I absolutely adore watching a dress, a headpiece, a pair of shoes take shape, from sketch to finished version.  Sometimes the moments just before the piece is complete can be scary and details to be added can be seemingly random (see Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton, the film), but the process, even when ostensibly fly-by-night, is fascinating.


These photos illustrate the Carven dress, with what I'm calling its Voysey-esque cut-out on the bodice, as it takes form.


It begins in light muslin, then moves to a darker tulle.


And in the spirit of Carven up a Thanksgiving turkey, I can only ask, regarding the dress:

Would you like white or dark?

1 comment:

materfamilias said...

Ha!
Presumably, you'll be at work tomorrow, but let me wish a fellow Canuck a Happy Thanksgiving!