Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Beach Style

Greetings from Chatham, Cape Cod! Your intrepid blogger is suffering through long days at the beach, homemade ice cream in the evenings (Buffy’s!), and pots of PEI mussels (any irony there?).

But there are also fashion discoveries to be made.

To wit: I’ve known about Roberta Freymann’s fabled stash of textiles for some years now, but have never made it up to her Manhattan shop. I had hoped that she had an e-boutique or sold her wares elsewhere, but the time I looked, she didn’t.

So I was thrilled to find her line of Indian hand-blocked printed tunics and pareos in a little Chatham shop. Called Roberta Roller Rabbit, this line of light, beachy clothing has delightful prints (a grown-up monkey print to go with my hypothetical chair) and delectable cottons (a hot pink embroidered with white).

As I’m in town a week later than usual, sales are in full swing, and, alas, the only sizes left are L and XL. And as much as I’m tempted to purchase and tailor, I know that I really don’t have the time. So I’ll enjoy from afar and maybe trek to Freymann’s store when I visit again in December. (I’m a true beach girl; I wilt on the city macadam.)

My true discovery, though, was a perfect miniature clamshell, open, but with its hinge intact; the size of a baby’s precious fingernail.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I just love tiny shells. They are fascinating to me.

I'm sorry you didn't get a tunic, but there will be other chances.

:)

Deborah said...

It took some will power not to snatch up a few tunics and such and just take them to be altered. I don't know that I could have resisted.

The tiny clam shell sounds wonderful. I love little finds like that. They're magical.