Monday, April 20, 2009

Topknot: Why Not?

I always smile when a new, edgy style is *discovered,* especially when I’ve been sporting that look for years.

To wit: the New York Times has championed topknots, a “cool girl’s take on the informal ponytail.”

I couldn’t agree more; I’ve been wearing topknots, on and off, for the last 20 years, depending on the length of my hair. (And no, I'm not stuck in a style rut!!)



I love the look when it’s messy (I like tight topknots only on ballerinas), but I do have one caveat: the casual topknot must be worn without tendrils above the ears, lest one resemble Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke.


Not that there’s anything wrong with that—if you’re Miss Kitty.

Or Bridget Hanley on Here Come the Brides (shown here with Bobby Sherman to the left; be still my Grade-One-girl’s heart).



I love the height that a topknot brings (I’m 5’10” in heels; must be almost 6 feet in a topknot!) as well as its insouciant chic. For me, imperfection is perfection, and this look provides a desirable mix of mess and polish.


Kind of like chipped nails.

9 comments:

materfamilias said...

Obviously, a look than can Knot be topped . . . (groan!)

Miss Cavendish said...

Oooh--someone else after my (older-than-Grade-One) heart!

Belle de Ville said...

I think knot.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I wonder if my locks are long enough to try a topknot. Also wonder if my husband would collapse in hysterics if I started sporting this look ...

Miss Cavendish said...

Why would this look be hysterical? Seriously!? I think you have perfect topknot hair because you'll have a fabulous pouf on top!

Unknown said...

this is not a look would go for but i have to admit the fact that it will make me taller is rather appealing ...

La Belette Rouge said...

I just tried it and, you know what, I love it. I think it will be my look for summer. Merci!!

Anonymous said...

Oh BOBBY SHERMAN!!!!!! What ever happened to the love of my life!!!

Angie Muresan said...

I always wear my hair in a messy topknot. I love it! And when I let it loose, it's bouncy and wavy, and oh so sexy!