Monday, September 21, 2009

Peter Pan for Girlz

My four-year-old son has been telling me that he’d like to move to Neverland and bring his mum and dad with him.

Hmmm . . . a possibility, but are girls permitted to stay in Neverland?

If I recall, and I may be mis-remembering, the closest girls can come to living with Peter Pan is choosing a Peter Pan collar to wear. And I think I’ve outgrown that look.

But hold that thought!

For here’s L’Wren Scott’s fall collection, with a pretty-in-pink “headmistress” dress punctuated with . . . a Peter Pan collar!

The difference here is that the collar is spread in an almost boatneck iteration, while the dress itself is classic Scott: long, lean, and curve enhancing. There’s not a hint of Lolita style here (to introduce a different text); indeed, this dress is completely grown up.

So: is this not a fabulous feminist revision of a “difficult” text? A grown-up Peter Pan (collar) that women can live with happily?

And for those gentle readers for whom C Z Guest is a stylish reference, Scott's dress does indeed recall this pretty, preppy look.

10 comments:

Belle de Ville said...

Beautiful dress. Even at my advanced age I would wear it in navy blue or a more neutral color.
I couldn't pull off cotton candy pink and a peter pan color in the same dress.

WendyB said...

That's so funny -- it's very sweet of your son to want to take you along.

LPC said...

To say nothing of the Peter Pan thing going on on Mad Men these days...

Jennifer said...

Before I even read the prior comments I was thinking that this look is totally Mad Men!

Make Do Style said...

You luck is in he loves you and wants to take you!

Gosh I do love that L'Wren dress - gorgeous.

wild thyme flowers said...

Very nice indeed. The dress is so pretty AND grownup. I think it's a great "let's have lunch at the fanciest restaurant in town" kind of dress. On my last visit to NYC I treated myself to a meal at Le Grenouille- where I learned that lunch is a very dressed up affair. I really wish I had had a dress like this for that occasion. Instead I kind of slunked in the corner feeling not quite dressed up enough. On a side note, the service and food was splendid.

Mardel said...

I think this is a much more modern and wearable peter pan than what is going on in mad men. I would love to wear that dress, even that shade of pink, although I haven't worn much pink for years.

Mary-Laure said...

Oh that Peter Pan collar! I WANT IT!

Elizabeth said...

I'm the least girly girl I know, but I'd wear this Peter Pan dress in an instant, even if it meant I was thrown out of Neverland. Or allowed to stay in. I don't care where I am, I'd love to wear that dress.

La Belette Rouge said...

My mother had a friend who went to a Ivy girls school and this woman, for as long as I have known her, has never abandoned her Peter Pan collar. She is a bit of a puella eternus. Somehow even at 70 her collar, pixy cut and pearls really work for her. But there is nothing Lolita about her.