Friday, September 25, 2009

Surfing on the Hair Waves: A New Hair Crush

I’ve written here before about Rita Hayworth hair, about how I wanted my stylist (in the late 1980s) to give me Kim Basinger corkscrew curls but he insisted on a Hayworth wave instead.

I certainly had the most elegant head of hair at the dance club that evening, even though it was all wrong for the “disco night.”

Probably inspired by Betty Draper and L'Wren Scott's clothes (her black-and-white bib dress is pictured below), I’m craving that gently set look again, though on a longer length than Mrs. Draper’s pretty blonde locks.


Of course this hair crush comes only weeks after I chopped off about seven inches of my own hair (three on my own, the remaining four by my stylist). I had wanted a super-short ponytail, which I now happily have, but undulating waves will have to be put on hold.


For now, I’m content reveling in these photos from W—cropped (haha) to emphasize the model’s hair.

9 comments:

LPC said...

Hmm. I am trying to decide whether the increasing waviness of my hair and the decreasing youthfulness of my face intersect in the realm where Rita Hayworth is a go or a no go...

WendyB said...

Love this look but it's definitely too tough for me to achieve on my own.

Make Do Style said...

I love this look for hair. I don't scrub up like this ever!

Belle de Ville said...

This is such a pretty look which can go both ingenue and femme fatal depending on the outfit and makeup.
But it is just a little too high maintenance for me.

Laura said...

Oh the hair in that last photo is quite simply PERFECT. How does one do that, any idea? Or is it completely necessary to have a hair stylist on hand?

Miss Cavendish said...

Laura,

My stylist gave me an old-fashioned set with soft rollers and then finger combed the waves into place. (It took forever.)

Miss C

Angie Muresan said...

I'm constantly having hair crushes, and at times when I have given in the results have been depressing. But I do love the hair in that last photo. Hmm...

Elizabeth said...

That's a beautiful look. I've always coveted it. My hair is too droopy for it, though, so I'll have to live vicariously through you, miss cav.

La Belette Rouge said...

If I could have a full time hairdresser at my beck and call that style would be mine.