Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Strapless Suits Me?

Last summer I was on the fence re: wearing strapless dresses, but after purchasing two from J Crew (here's one), I thought I'd try some more this season, especially since I need to get my original two altered for a snugger fit.

But unless I'm looking for bridal wear, J Crew offers practically nothing this season in strapless for day. There was that hydrangea-stripe dress, but it looked to be made from jersey knit, which did not appeal.  And the seersucker with the sweetheart neck? I'm down with seersucker, but not thrilled with sweethearts.  Plus, I want to spend practically nothing, as I did last year with the J Crew summer markdowns and my additional educator's discount.

So off to eBay it was.  My first purchase arrived today, and the colors were much prettier in real life than in the photos (good so far).  The cotton, lined dress fits like a glove (also good).  But when I look in the mirror I see that there are two large flowers on the front. And the brown center (pistil) of one flower is positioned on my body such that it looks exactly like an areola. Not so good. (The eBay photo suggested that the flower center has a different position on the dress.)

So a lesson learned again: caveat emptor. Fortunately the dress can be returned as no amount of adjusting will transplant the flower.

Do readers have any favourite strapless dress (for day) labels?  Lilly P is a tad too cute for me . . .

2 comments:

Dorky Medievalist said...

Um. J. Crew gives an educator's discount?!? Details! (please)

Miss Cavendish said...

Yes! In real life, not online, though. Just request the educators' discount, flash your faculty ID, and you should get 15% off . . .