Monday, June 22, 2009

On Deck?


Sometimes when I read early American literature I immerse myself in conduct books—literature that told young men and women how to behave. If Austin Powers wrote a book, his would be called Oh Behave! (but I think his days of deck are over.)

Recognize the usage of “deck” in the parenthetical phrase? According to the Hipster Handbook, a conduct book for the early noughties, “deck” is the new “cool.” (“Fin” is “uncool.”)

This usage came to mind as I was looking at Balenciaga’s updated deck shoe. It’s tall, tall, tall, with a wedge heel. It has one of those jolie-laide vibes, to my mind.

So, gentle readers, is this deck shoe “deck” or “fin”? And if you'd wear it, how would you style it?

6 comments:

WendyB said...

I'm really liking those!

Elizabeth said...

I like the shoe. Alot.

For me, it'd be tights, corduroy mini, and thick white cabled turtleneck.

Or, skinny cords/jeans, and the same sweater.

Mary-Laure said...

Oh Behave - sounds very Mitford sisters, no?

Belle de Ville said...

How about wearing them with short shorts and a button down shirt, kind of preppy look but more hip...they would definitely make your legs look longer.

Shani said...

I would have to say "fin"! While I can picture them with cream short shorts, the shoe really just doesn't do it for me. It isn't the wedge, it's their version of the deck shoe... the laces, the way the to rounds, the brown sole. I just don't think they nailed it. :)

Anonymous said...

When I saw these in the NYT, I immediately wondered "I wonder what Miss Cavendish thinks of these!" As for me, I would like them on smooth seas, but might prefer their more practical version in a storm.

Miss Ellen