Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Short, Happy Career of a Paparazza

As I’ve been gearing up for my summer travels, I’ve been feeling nostalgic, whether I like it or not. Memories keep wafting over me, entering my dreams unbidden, curling up around me as I try to read a book, punctuating my writing at my computer.

So I gave in and looked through my box of childhood and teenage photos this morning.

I was happy to find this Polaroid shot of the new Princess Diana, taken BY ME, a tender teenager, when Diana visited Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, shortly into her marriage. How did I get so close to her? I must have been very pushy.

Princess Diana was a rock star in my eyes—I’d got up early to watch her wedding; even owned one of these black-sheep sweaters:




I still have it; am saving it for my daughters, unless it’s frightfully uncool by then.

I also loved this honeymoon photo (below) and when a loden green wool trouser suit with a similar blouson jacket found its way into a local boutique, I made sure to buy it, even though I was all of 17 and probably too young for the look.


Must go now and swat the memories down with my broom! I’d rather look forward today . . .

9 comments:

K.Line said...

Oh, I watched the wedding too! How cool that you own the sweater. Do not part with it.

Shani said...

I just realized while reading this that I had one of those sweaters, too! I had completely forgotten about that. Great piece.

WendyB said...

I watched the wedding too! I'm so impressed that you got that picture. Amazing.

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Wasn't she gorgeous? I had forgotten about the black sheep sweater.

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Oh, and not only did I watch the wedding on TV, I watched the characters of General Hospital watch the wedding on TV.

Miss Cavendish said...

Now that's hardcore, Tessa . . .

Jennifer said...

Oh, how Shy Di was a princess to us all even before the wedding!
I tried to convince my mother to let me get up early to watch the wedding (before the sun was up on the East Coast), but she didn't go for it. So I had to be happy watching a later rebroadcast. *Sigh*

Belle de Ville said...

Wow...I'm impressed by your photo.
Diana was such a fashion icon for young women in the early 1980s.

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

I still the tee towels...thats hardcore!