Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Rogue Brogue

At least I didn't throw
"rouge" into the mix up there.

Today, while buying my daughter two different-sized shoes (quite by accident), I noticed how the brogue is fast becoming the shoe of the late summer, as designers attempt to double their profits with pre- and apres-Labor Day brogues.

So we have brogues in (light rouge?) pink (above, by Steve Madden).   They remind me of 1982, in boarding school, paging through my friend's GQ and marveling at the zany pointy-toe lavender and yellow men's shoes that were advertised.

And Steve makes a "kilty" model in white:



Spied at Nordstrom. Are they Great Gatsbyesque or my grandmother's golf shoes?

These shoes are rather gently priced, especially when comparing them to their richer cousin-brogues by J Crew, which come in at double the Maddens:



These look too dainty for my taste.

However, I fear that I am once again falling under the east coast summer spell, one that makes me crave sherbet-y colors and styles that I would normally not.  Does anyone else suffer from this geographic seasonal affliction?

5 comments:

materfamilias said...

Foolishly, given my little island's dirt roads, I find pastels -- sherbet colours, as you describe them -- hard to resist in the summer. Decades and decades ago, I had a pair of pale blue suede brogues. The pink ones above remind me of them, sigh . . .

Mary-Laure said...

Ah, the preppy spell of the East Coast. As someone who spent all her summers as a kid on Cape Cod, I know what you mean...

WendyB said...

I have NO desire.

Belle de Ville said...

My daughter just bought a pair of brogues. They look cute in a neutral, but I wouldn't like them in pink or any other pastel color.

s. said...

YES! In the summer, my heart sings for cool, refreshing icy colours. But my urban lifestyle and pale freckly skin always make me rue my pastel purchases.