Friday, October 24, 2008

On Approval


It’s been raining steadily since about 1:00 a.m. this morning, so there’s been a gray cloud over the whole day.

But wait! Aren’t I the blogger who loves gray?

So, then, here’s a preview of a little gray silk dupioni dress that I just ordered from Christiane Celle for some rainy-day cheer. I like that its tiers have raw edges—they balance any preciousness and add a welcome tough chic.

This dress could be just the thing for holiday parties, with an outrageously glam/eccentric shoe.

It’s always a challenge to order a dress online, as you know, and as I was doing so, I thought of how my grandmother used to shop. She’d go to the chicest little boutique in town, choose 10-12 Ports dresses, skirts, and blouses, and take them home with her, “on approval.”

Those were the wonderful days when boutique owners knew their clients and would literally give them clothes—sans deposit—to try them on in the comfort of their homes, far away from the fluorescent lights and cramped dressing rooms.

So although I had to drop a credit card, I’m imagining that the lovely Christiane Celle is sending me this dress on approval. If I approve, fantastic. If not, the cost of shipping is a small price to pay for the pleasure of trying on something chez moi.

I’m Miss Cavendish, and I approve this message.


***P.S. Many thanks to lovely La Belette Rouge for, ahem, approving enough of my blog to give me the "I love your blog" award. It’s deeply appreciated! I'll pass on this bloggy love soon.

9 comments:

WendyB said...

I'll be intrigued to see if you approve when it arrives.

La Belette Rouge said...

I am La Belette Rouge and I approve of this dress and I more than approve of your lovely blog. I love it!:-)

I am not a gal who does grey, but that dress would make me reconsider my stance. Really pretty.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Love, love this dress! And I am Maryam in Marrakech and I approve this comment:)

K.Line said...

You are the original on approval, online shopping princess! Good thing you don't still live in Canada or the shipping and customs alone would cost you $$$. See, there are some benefits to being an expat. :-)

materfamilias said...

Ooooh, this is such a yummy dress! Crossing my fingers that it fits, that you love it, that you keep it and model it for us, and that you enjoy many great moments in it . . .
oh, and btw, the owner of the little boutique in my little, little city regularly lets me take this home on approval, without paying, to see if I really like it. It's a perk I appreciate very much -- reminds me of when doctors made house calls;-)

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

lovely-lovely dress...I think many will think so too! Lovely weekend dear...

Elizabeth said...

I love the way you think, miss cav.

I'll be very interested to see how you feel about that dress, and which shoes you would wear with it.

Songy said...

That's a good way to go. I approve that too.

Good luck with the dress. I'm sure you will send it right back if you're not happy?

Anonymous said...

I know this isn't at all what the phrase means but, dang, that dress gets gobs of approval from ME.