Saturday, November 1, 2008

GOOP-y "I"s


My email in-box was full of GOOP last week.

I’d heard the buzz about Gwyneth Paltrow’s new lifestyle website, GOOP, but it seems like it’s still under construction. For the time being, one signs up for a newsletter, to be delivered via email, and the site will have its grand opening in the future.

Ironically, just a week ago or so, I wryly commented on someone’s blog that I wouldn’t want to read one of Ms. Paltrow’s novels, were she to write one, and here I was, signing up for her newsletter. (I was assuming she wouldn’t have characters in it.)

But she did have a main character, namely herself, which, truly, made perfect sense to me, because she’s writing about what she knows—her experiences in various areas.

Actually, in this installment, she was writing about what she didn’t know—how to overcome some bodily and psychological ailments through proper food and other kinds of nourishment. So she turned to three doctors, who each gave their advice (one mentioned his “best-selling book” for more detailed information).

The advice was simple: get at least eight hours of sleep, eat fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid processed foods, sugar, caffeine, flour, etc. I didn’t learn anything new, but was reminded how difficult it is to follow all of those sound rules during this time of year, when coffee so beautifully accompanies baked goods, when the dark evenings disrupt our sleep rhythms.

Prettily packaged, with soothing visuals, and prose (from Gwyneth) that doesn’t take itself toooo seriously, GOOP is neither POOP nor GOOD—yet. It’s still figuring out its consistency, but without any high fructose corn syrup, please!

9 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

GOOP is an unfortunate name. Don't you think?

Miss Cavendish said...

La belette rouge, Well, it doesn't have the most attractive associations . . . I suppose it's an attempt to be self-effacing, but I do wonder how much "market research" went into the choice of name.

WendyB said...

Gwyneth's a lovely person - I've met her a few times - so I'm just not going to say anything beyond that!

Miss Cavendish said...

And it's obvious that she means well--I'm interested to see what she sends next!

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

This was the first post first I read and I was thinking 'GOOP?'...I must have missed sumet because when did Gwen start a website? I'm not even going to bother saying that I'll look into it - I'll be relying on you to keep me up to speed.

Songy said...

I'm not sure how much of it is actually from Ms.P.
She is a brand after all. I like her newsletter but it's not that ground breaking and you're right it's kinda blend. Given time maybe it will get more punchy? :)

Elizabeth said...

I visited the site early on, and was scratching my head over why I wasn't taking her seriously. On one hand, I felt she was just another celebrity trying to market yet another angle. On the other hand, she's eaten a macrobiotic diet, had two kids, and is in fantastic shape, so why shouldn't I hear what she has to say?

I'm still undecided, though I will say that I liked the design of the site, and for me, sometimes that is the deciding factor.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

You are right... my heart wasn't raising faster over Goop...
Great new week to you dear!

Anonymous said...

(first of all, thanks for your comments over chez moi! ;) I was a bit down with some rebel flu passed on from one of the kids...)

Now about Goop. I haven't had the slightest interest in Gwyneth in the past. But something changed when I saw Ironman. Don't know exactly what, I just know it has to do with her smile. With her warmth. I signed up for Goop's newsletter and was rather impressd. The first one I got was about clothes. What she suggested (besides being apps $600 per outfit) wasn't impressive. Rather gray-ish and dull. Conservative. Pass on. Then I received more. And was touched by the personal way she (if it's indeed her) addresses people. Like she would be talking to friends. Like she would be an ordinary girl talking to her friends. I'm curious how this would turn out. And more curious if she really writes those lines!