Saturday, November 1, 2008

India (Th)inks

The first time I noticed India Hicks, I didn’t really, though I should have. But tiny Clementine, the littlest bridesmaid at Lady Diana Spencer’s wedding, charmed everyone, while thirteen-year-old India, with her noble brow and intelligent eyes, was more of the wedding party than the party itself.


I noticed her again, while she was beginning her short-lived modeling career—in the pages of Vogue wearing a white tank top and Isaac Mizrahi ballgown-skirt, bringing credence to Ralph Lauren’s fauxtocratic English country-living adverts. (India and Honor Fraser were my two favorite “pedigree” models; Stella Tennant has obviously transcended that label.)

I liked that she was much more statuesque than waif; she freely commented in interviews that she was not “naturally” reed thin; in her post-pregnancy months she utterly unself-consciously modeled for Marina Rinaldi. (And she actually gained weight while pregnant! No “Body after Baby” triumph stories three weeks later in People magazine).

I cocked an eyeball here and there whenever India made news: her island living aesthetic appealed to me; though I thought her currency sank a little with her line for Crabtree and Evelyn.



And now India’s in the public eye, in the national pop culture, really, as the host of Bravo's surprisingly delightful Top Design. It’s the only TV show that could keep me up till midnight on a work night. I watch it to see what India wears and how she wears it, like this Cavalli flapper-esque number:


And this Tony Cohen knotted beauty:


India may be “never the bride,” but she’s certainly not wearing bridesmaids’ garb any more.

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love the dresses you loved, but the green one is my hands-down favorite. I think it's my dream dress of all time.

K.Line said...

I didn't know that she modeled for Marina R. I think that's terrific. Esp. as she did it unapologetically!

Mary-Laure said...

I often see her in Vogue (USA) and am always impressed at how she embraces color.

Miss Cavendish said...

enc--It is a stunning green dress, I agree. And for a slightly different perspective on it, Google "Drew Barrymore braless green dress" and see what you find!

K.Line, Yes, the black-and-white image is one of her Rinaldi adverts. I definitely recognize that postpartum bosom!

Mary-Laure, I love her use of color too, which may well come from living on an island with that gorgeous summery light--not unlike Malibu!

WendyB said...

I always remember her more as a model than anything else due to those Lauren ads, but really she did that for such a short time.

kunthanrajan said...

ho wow noce stuff i like it keep going you rock...have a good day...do visit mine...

La Belette Rouge said...

I had knew nothing about her other than she was on the Top Design show. Great post. And, she looks amazing in that green dress.

Miss Cavendish said...

I was up at 5:30 a.m. or whatever time it was to see Diana's wedding, so India's been etched into my consciousness for a long, long time!

La Belette Rouge said...

I was up at 2 a.m. ( California time) to watch the wedding and the funeral.
I remember everything about the day I watched the wedding. Wow!! All those memories just came flooding back.:-)

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

As a 5 year old Diana's wedding was the first time I was allowed to sit up past midnight and should have explained 'so many things' to my mother :)

etoilee8 said...

I love that green dress but support, support, support. I don't know if I could pull it off. . . I don't know if I'd even try.

Unknown said...

the green. THE GREEN ONE. stunning!

* her accent bugs though. like a frog in her throat constantly.