Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sequins for Day

I love sequins for day. And the NYT does too, because this morning it promoted a Gryphon sequin jacket in its Pulse section of the Style pages.

It does take some work, though, to get this look right; indeed, work that should appear effortless.

The jacket should be the most glam part of the ensemble, paired with a sneering, skinny, I’ve-been-out-til-3:00-a.m. pair of jeans, and a rogueish shirt. Shoes could be heels, with architectural interest, or flats that have a strong line.

I might even chip my nail polish for this one.

But it’s important to find exactly the right sequins. Last winter I was on a quest for a sequined sweater and ordered this Nanette Lepore (below). Problem was, when it arrived, it reminded me too much of my Scottish grandfather, and I developed an otherwise inexplicable craving for haggis and cigars.



So back it went. For summer I have a linen flax-colored trapeze short jacket that has matte silvery sequins all around the hem, about a third of the way up. It’s got a strong Mad Men vibe, and I’ve truly only worn it to concerts at Stanford Jazz, but I think that this summer will hold more possibilities.

So when I’m in NYC late December, I’ll be looking for something like the Gryphon jacket (at the top of the page). I think it would be perfect for adding some magical, but tough, twinkle, to the dark January days.

11 comments:

WendyB said...

Haggis is delicious. The word "effortless" is not! Don't ruin my appetite with that word, MissC.

K.Line said...

Doncha hate when the cardi's look like they belong to aging relatives?

Miss Cavendish said...

WendyB, Do you really like haggis? When I was little, I never knew what would be cooking on my grandparents' stove . . .

I agree, K.Line, Boyfriend cardi is acceptable; Grandfather cardi is not! ;-)

Songy said...

That's the trouble shopping without actually trying things on I suppose.

I would say yes to anything that has strong Mad Men vibe.

La Belette Rouge said...

I have long been anti-sequin. However, I was just looking at the new Jcrew catalog and all of a sudden it seemed like a great idea to have a sequined tank to wear under a conservative cardi. But at $200+ it is going to remain in the realm of fantasy.
I hope your sequined jacket is realized.

Anonymous said...

Timely! I snagged a black, sequin-encrusted BR tank for $5 over the weekend thrifting ... and was wondering if it could be worn to work with something OTHER than jeans. Or would slacks make the whole deal too dressy for day? Thoughts?

Miss Cavendish said...

Hmmm. I wouldn't wear a drapey fabric, or long trousers, because they would probably code too dressy. How about a cropped black twill trouser, with an ankle defining boot or street-smart chunky heel for balance? I'd pair it a gray cardi or a sweater with a deep V to see the sequins peeking out (unless your tank already has a deep v). I know that you're going with color this winter, but I'm going to say that I like the inspiration of asphalt and concrete for such a tank . . .

Elizabeth said...

Miss C, the J.Crew site shows several sequined items, one of which is this:
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/sweaters/merino/PRDOVR~99845/99101600937/99845.jsp

It's a bit pricey . . . .

I love the skirt:
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/sweaters/merino/PRDOVR~99884/99884.jsp

Miss Cavendish said...

Tres chic, enc. I'm becoming more and more tempted . . .

WendyB said...

I do like haggis, really!

Anonymous said...

Miss C you're brilliant! I have just the cropped trousers and boots for the job.