Friday, November 28, 2008

Silver Belles; or, Lucky Me

Today I got Lucky.

Well, actually, I picked up Lucky from my coffee table, where it has been sitting for a few weeks, and began to page through.

But I kept coming back to the cover, and the beautiful photo of Keri Russell in what looked to be a stunning dress. I adore silver, and silver plus tasteful beading or sequins is a win-win combination.

Upon closer reading, I learned that the dress was from Banana Republic, and that even Ms. R. was pleasantly delighted when she learned it was under $300.


So off I went to the Internet for some research. But—oh dear—my hopes were dashed when I saw the dress on the BR model. I didn’t like the darker outline of sequins on the bodice, nor did I think the fit or length were flattering. I guess that’s where the extra hundred or so dollars comes in—one must hire a tailor for adjustments.

But truly, I’m always pleased when my yearning is thwarted so early. Now I can enjoy and appreciate this pretty picture from a happy distance. And that’s good luck indeed.

10 comments:

Songy said...

That happens all the time.
It always pays to go and try out though. I may well look stunning on you.

K.Line said...

I bought this issue because I thought Keri looked so fresh and pretty. (I buy it occasionally.) This dress - on her version - reminds me of your conservative meets edgy style. I agree, it's much better on Ms. Russell than on the BR model. Is it possible that the beading on the one in the store would more closely resemble the mag photo? Do you ever go shopping in the stores rather than online?

materfamilias said...

I’m always pleased when my yearning is thwarted so early. I feel this way as well -- there are so many garments and accessories that catch one's eye and invite coveting, that I feel relief almost as often as disappointment when something looks wrong in the change room mirror. Almost "Oh, that's good, I don't have to buy that then."

teach people not books said...

oo and the length is all wrong, too. and i'm with you both, the relief that comes with realizing you don't want something is a prized feeling--i think it has to do with more than just the money saved.

WendyB said...

Oh no, the real thing looks like a nightie.

Elizabeth said...

An excellent example of "The Magic of Photography," wouldn't you say?

I'm with you, it's a fortuitous thwarting, miss cav.

La Belette Rouge said...

Good catch. $300 for a dress that needs so much work is no deal.

Anonymous said...

I, too, was delighted and surprised to see a BR dress on the Lucky cover girl ... but dang, it really doesn't look as fantastic on the website model. So yay/boo for another photography-related shopping thwart!

Mary-Laure said...

Hmmmm, never read Lucky. Maybe I should give it a try...?

Candice DeVille said...

I think perhaps it is the model that is unflattering and not he dress. The sequins could look darker with their lighting, but that's a gamble. As for the fit, I'd be adding a sparkly chain belt to this number, to sit nicely on the hips and make it a little more waisted. cheaper than a tailor!