Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Is It Smug to Snub? Toe-ing the Line

I’ve always thought that snub-toe shoes are the u.g.l.i.e.s.t. shoes on the planet. Indeed, I snub them whenever I see them in shops or online.

Chie Mihara has been one of the leaders in the snub-toe campaign, with snubby offerings for the last three seasons or so, all of which I've ignored with my nose in the air.

But today, while thinking about wildly romantic eccentric skirts and jackets like the ensemble above from IF in Soho, I had a revelation: snub-toe shoes would bring just the right element of Dickensian eccentricity to this look.

So I’m taking another look at Chie Mihara:



They’re ghastly, I know, but could be perfect (in a dark color) with Exhibit A above. Shades of Sweeney Todd and I Capture the Castle.

However, if I ever begin singing the praises of high-heeled penny loafers, please stage an intervention!

8 comments:

K.Line said...

You know, I've never heard this designers name spoken (only in print). How do pronounce "Chie"?

Mardel said...

I have a friend who wears Chie Mihara shoes and they look perfect on her -- they go with her modern-retro vibe and the fact that she is tiny with curvy legs and size 5 feet helps too I believe.

On me, the shoes look like tanks. But I can see how they might go with with an outfit such as the one chosen.

Anonymous said...

Hah! I adore a snub toe, and would wear those Chies in a heartbeat. Especially if I could pair them with that wild skirt ...

Belle de Ville said...

OK...they may not be sexy but they look so comfortable. I'd wear them in a dark color with matching tights.

Elizabeth said...

I bet you'd love those if you put them on.

Elizabeth said...

Then you'd shout "Oh, the irony!" from the rooftops.

WendyB said...

I think those shoes are very cute!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.