Monday, July 27, 2009

Mooning About

I’m generally not fond of high-maintenance fingernail polishes.

It’s mais, non! to a French manicure; jamais! to its American cousin, that interloping French pedicure, and pourquois? to the chipped nail look (although I note here that Helena Christensen rocked it in the nineties).

But the half moon manicure has me in thrall.

Sure, it’s got shades of Gatsby, but the look can be aggressively postmodern too. The trick is to choose a dark, plummy, or jet color in a high lacquered gloss.

The photo below even incorporates a half moon with what I’m calling a wing tip.




This is a fall look, not really one for floaty summer dresses, and one that could punctuate a style effectively.

So are you for a full moon (entirely polished nail) or a half moon?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too much work for me, but love the look on others!

WendyB said...

I adore the look. Too bad I have short, thin, brittle, overall crappy fingernails!

La Belette Rouge said...

I am sticking to a full moon. Even in summer I wear dark, Vampy, almost black nail polish. Any soft and pretty polish looks lost on my hands.

DS said...

that is a great special occasion look for nails but like you said, I'm not that great at high maintenance nail polish looks just because I always manage to chip it before its time!