Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Portrait of the Professor as a Mad (Wo)Man

Oh, here I am, giving a talk on Vertigo, specifically, on the character of Midge, the brassiere designer who would probably like to start a men’s line with Scottie as her fit model.

The only anachronism in this tableau is the fringe; I like to show my forehead.

And, well, the cigarette isn’t usually in my personal pictures either, but it does work here as a pre-modern pointer; I like how its glowing ash anticipates those red laser thingies that business types use in presentations.

For yet another disclaimer, I don’t watch TV, have never seen Mad Men on DVD, but am happy to borrow this idea to make your own Mad (Wo)Man avatar from the always current Deep Glamour. Do let me know if you design your own!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lady, do take a peek at the series. It's PHENOMENAL.

Belle de Ville said...

I adore the Midge character from "Vertigo" so ahead of her time. And Barbara Bel Geddes was perfect for the role.

La Belette Rouge said...

You really know how to up your glamor for lecturing.

Jennifer said...

I've seen a few episodes of Mad Men but couldn't really get into it. But I also had fun creating my Mad Men avatar(s). Got to love the cat's eye specs!