Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Face on a Bench

While paging through T, the fall 2009 travel magazine, I was struck by this image:

I initially thought that that great face was painted on the bench, and was plotting how to make it mine, but soon realized that it can be seen through the thin, industrial material of the bench's back.

No matter; I’ll admire it from here.

The face strikes a familiar mood—one that invokes the fab London shop Granny Takes a Trip:


The faces of Biba:






And the iconic Daisy Buchanan, portrayed here by Mia Farrow.





What is it about thin eyebrows, large eyes, short curled hair, and a sultry-yet-elfin attitude that’s so intoxicating? I’m already imagining a mural of these vamps on the side of my summer house (in the late nineteenth-century context, bien sur; I'm no Gatsby).

4 comments:

Jaeveberry said...

intoxicating is right!

Null said...

The graphic qualities of the first remind me of Toulouse-Lautrec. I guess any bright-eyed ingenue with long, lush eyelashes will always intoxicate.

Love that you were too cerebral for Vogue. I have a very similar story. Eerily so.

Angie Muresan said...

I don't really know, but I am half convinced that I too want to intoxicate, so I should go cut my hair, and thin out my eyebrows.

Elizabeth said...

It's just plain beautiful!