Thursday, August 5, 2010

Yes, I Scream. A Consumer Report

The New York Times couldn't be more timely with its Thursday Styles article on pricey ice cream, which I devoured while sitting in the car during our 14-hour journey homeward.

Indeed, single scoops of ice cream are offered at, well, Starbucks venti latte prices at ice cream boutiques, on the east coast anyway.  Buffy's in Cape Cod (Chatham) costs around $4-5.00 for a scoop, and Millie's on Nantucket costs around $3.75.

Here's take on the controversy, which the NYT didn't address.  Neither of these ice cream shops offers a child-size scoop, which would have been appropriately sized for my three (under 10) children.  I'm happy to pay full price for a scoop for myself, but know that I'll end up wasting the (often homemade) ice cream if each child orders his or her own. 

So, gentle ice cream boutiques, why not save yourself from wasting some of your pricey ice cream and sell child-size scoops?  Or else I'll have to show up with extra cones or bowls of my own and divide up the ice cream right there among my brood.

**I do think that the Juice Bar, which makes utterly wonderful ice cream on the ACK harbour, offers a child-size cone. But I bought it on the way to catch the Cape-bound ferry and everything is therefore a blur.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe those prices. How outrageous! I guess they're trying to make ice cream the new cupcake/trend, eh?

Child-size scoops are a perfect idea. I'm sure many adults would order them, too.

I can't remember the last time I ordered a cone, but I do know the prices weren't this high. You could get a whole pint of B&J at those rates!

WendyB said...

I think the high prices are great -- they'll prevent me from overordering ;-)

Belle de Ville said...

At what point do you just say enough is enough. When you buy a fancy coffee at Starbucks for $4.00 and you know that it cost the company less than $1.00 is the markup acceptable? Yet we keep buying.
I would be ashamed to charge those kind of margins on the jewelry that I sell. But I know people who prefer to pay a high margin. They equate price with return on their investment, whether in jewelry or ice cream.
Haven't we all been programmed to consume like this?
I know that my grandparents and parents didn't think, or consume, this way.