Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Marie on a Tree; or: Let Them Decorate with Cake!


Marie Antoinette made an appearance on my Christmas tree this weekend, as she’s done for the past two years.

I had an idea, a while ago, to make a series of “Royal Court” ornaments in response to the Coppola Marie Antoinette movie.

This is the first, the Queen herself, with her infamous (if mythological) cakes at the bottom of the skirt. You can click on the image to see her embroidery stitches a little closer.

The second, the Queen’s dear friend, the Countess of Chocolate, has chocolate cupcakes around her elegant brown skirt (I gave her to a friend, so, alas, no photo).

I also have bumblebee ribbon and am contemplating making a Queen Bea when all the dust clears from my semester’s end.

8 comments:

materfamilias said...

too cute . . . and clever!

La Belette Rouge said...

J'adore! I only have Eiffel tower and fleur de les ornaments---my tree is bare of French royalty.;-)

Mary-Laure said...

What a great idea! I love it that she's smiling, unaware of the fate awaiting her: off with her head!

Anonymous said...

She couldn't be cuter. What a fantastic idea.

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

LOVES IT...if only we weren't putting up our tree this year I could have made a set of the 'worlds greatest Despots'...bugger!

Miss Cavendish said...

Now that, Imelda Matt, would be festive!

Elizabeth said...

Perfection, just like all your other handiwork, miss cav.

K.Line said...

Oh, this is adorable. Love the colour scheme against the tree!