Saturday, December 6, 2008

Highland Things

I’m sure I’ve mentioned before that my grandmother was Scottish. I grew up, consequently, with a love for tam o’shanters and Fair Isle knits, though those items eventually morphed into berets and cashmere crews.

Now that winter has officially arrived, however (even if the calendar date says otherwise), I’m feeling a great pull toward those cozy garments of my youth.

And what better company than Thistle and Broom to quench my Scottish knit desires?

Above is a stunning wreath made from Fair Isle gloves.

And below is a Fair Isle sweater, updated for a postmodern woman who might pair it with skinny jeans and tough boots from Balenciaga or even Doc Martens. Wear it on the moors, or by the sea, when the first ice has just formed on the water.



And for those of you true laddies and lassies, check out these great kilts.


I wore one most Saturdays, with my boarding school’s cadet corps. We donned full Highland dress (Black Watch kilt, red jacket, great [faux?] furry hat) and stomped about the hills and dales. I think I even had a fling with the highlander who played the bagpipes. But no, his name wasn't Danny.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I saw this company featured in "Lucky" when I was paging through the latest issue this afternoon, and I made a mental note to check the site out. I'll have to see what there is on offer.

WendyB said...

Ah, a Highland fling. I'm jealous.

Miss Cavendish said...

Yes--I saw it in Lucky too . . .

Songy said...

I see the guy's hair... heeee it's funny.