Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tree Cakes

One of my favorite character names in American literature is Tea Cake from Zora Neale Hurston’s Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Born as Vergible Woods, Tea Cake changed his name, and to good effect: a tea cake is a delicacy, a small, sweet luxury.

I thought of him as I was making Christmas gifts for my daughters’ teachers. Like Brad Pitt (ahem), I like to give handmade gifts, and decided to update my tiny cakes as ornaments.

I made two with velvet ribbons and, because I always like a visual pun, two with teapot ribbons. My tree is modeling them above and below.



This year, Tea Cake = Tree Cake.

4 comments:

K.Line said...

These are beautiful!

Paul Pincus said...

gosh, these are gorgeous!

ps i posted a image of tina chow from my personal collection by david seidner. i thought of you.

pps have a happy christmas!

materfamilias said...

Wonderful gifts -- lucky teachers!

Elizabeth said...

I wish I was your child's teacher if that was the gift I'd get.

miss cav, I LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE my own tiny cake. It sits right next to my computer as I type this comment, and it is the most wonderful and delightful handmade gift I've ever received.