Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Postmodern Jodphurs

It takes a lot to get me excited about a new trouser silhouette.

I hated boot cut jeans when they reemerged, having been miserable in “wide legs” during the 1970s. I even disliked a lowish rise, having adored cigarette pants a la Audrey Hepburn for many a year.

Yesterday, though, I was flipping through Bazaar and saw several examples of a silhouette that looks just right. My favorite incarnation is the Alexander Wang pant (above), with its snug calves and gently draping material. It works with a really strong shoe, like the one here.

But there are a couple of caveats: A woman would have to make sure that her pants are neither too blouson-y, lest she resemble a parachute, nor too long, lest her look conjures up that unfortunate term “harem pant.” And –oh—the pants can’t be too short either, because then she’ll have that uncomfortable sensation of having the cuff ride up in a too-tight manner.

The more I look at these pants, the more I remember a favorite pair of winter white jodphurs that I used to wear in Montreal. With a strong black patent shoe and a slim sweater they were just perfect (this was back in the 1980s, remember—but there was NO slouchy sock!!).

I’ll be looking for this silhouette on my December trek to NYC. Could you see yourself in these?

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes, I think so. I'd be careful about the styling, though; your ideas seem just right to me.

WendyB said...

They look nice but I feel like I'd never find a pair that fit me just right!

La Belette Rouge said...

Not for me. But, I understand the attraction. LOL @ no slouchy socks. I can't imagine in you in slouchy socks and/or a scrunchie.

Thumbelina Fashionista said...

They're certainly bold, but they're not for me. I prefer a wide-legged or super slim silhouette.

K.Line said...

I don't think so, but I have gone from loathing the look to finding it quite interesting on the right frame. I'm sure, if you do it, it will be just right. And I agree about the chunky shoe...

Anonymous said...

Not quite my speed, but it certainly creates an interesting silhouette.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't. I see them at least once a week on a supposedly very stylish girl and I still think they look just like some catwalk cotton diapers... Then again, I haven't tried a pair for myself either... who knows?

I added one of your articles in my weekly linkage. It's hard to find blogs with a mind of their own! ;)

Songy said...

Indeed, I bought a pair just like that at Empire Rose for 70AUD.. whopping 90% off.

I might have to do an outfit post just so that you can see me sporting them!

Miss Cavendish said...

I'd love to see them on you!