Thursday, December 18, 2008

In-fat-Shoe-a-ted

I really am a tough sell. I rarely buy things on impulse, preferring to think and think and think for weeks, if necessary, before taking the plunge.

And in a shop I’m a sales assistant’s nightmare because I distrust every word that comes out of his/her mouth. I greet compliments with a raised eyebrow; I walk if I’m told, “That’s the very last one!”

But once in a while I fall in love at first sight, and the whole narrative explodes.

A few months ago I saw a pair of shoes in profile in a Toronto shop, thanks to a photo that K.Line took on one of her scouting trips. I liked them; the gracious K.Line found out the label (Whyred, from Sweden [the link is to their sales website]) and the price in Canadian dollars; I looked online in the States and came up empty handed.

But in a Lucky break, a certain magazine featured said shoes from a little California boutique, with a delightful 25% off for magazine readers. And since the shoes were already on sale, the discount was that much sweeter.

The shoes arrived, and, I’m thrilled to note, are just what I hoped for. They’re tall AND comfortable. They have a great edgy silhouette that will work with pencil skirts and jeans and will even toughen up a floaty dress.

I’m feeling a little wired right now for Whyred.

Whyred? Whynot?

6 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

Congratulations on your beautiful shoes. It is not often when love art first sight happens but when it does it is grand.

K.Line said...

Oh, I love this story! And I love those shoes. I would so have bought them if they hadn't cost a living fortune! J&O is having a 40% off sale on stuff now but those shoes are gone.

What a find. I imagine you will be gorgeous in these!

WendyB said...

So if you try on any of my jewelry, I should tell you it looks shitty on you?

Miss Cavendish said...

Actually, Wendy, you shouldn't say anything! Just let me beam with pleasure at my mirror image bedecked in WendyB finery . . . :-)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the thrill of the hunt. And those shoes were well worth hunting down. Gorgeous.

Elizabeth said...

I love the payoff for taking that risk!