Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Knit Wit: New Photo in Selvedge

When Mr. C was a Fulbright Fellow in Iceland, back in 1993 or so, I flew over for the Christmas holidays. I had wanted a cross-body bag for the trip and the day before my flight I went to Saks to search for one.

My treasure hunt was cut short, though, when I spied a perfectly, ridiculously fanciful hat by Eric Javits. It was dark blue wool, with a Dickensian/Doolittle swoopy brim that swept over my brow and then again, anchored by an outrageous brown plume.  That's what I bought instead of a bag and have never regretted it.

When do I wear the hat? Occasionally I've worn it in a theatre production when I played a Victorian lady; I've worn it to class when it fits the novel. And I wore it most recently during a hot day in June to get my photo taken for the fall issue of Selvedge.

Here it is, in the original colour photo (that's a dressmaker's Tahari military coat below, with beautiful pick-stitching on the collar) and, in a black/white screen grab from the online edition of Selvedge.



The September/October issue features "knits," as you'll see from the dreamy Tim Walker cover (of Gilles Deacon) and my knitting anecdote, which coincidentally also references Iceland!


2 comments:

K.Line said...

Adorable! You've gotta get your money's worth out of that hat :-)

Jen Lawrence said...

I adore that hat. Excellent choice. And I will look for that publication. I adore anything Tim Walker.