Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Beaux, Tied

If last season was the year of the ruffle, September represents the Fall of the bow.

I’m seeing bows all over, on blouses (to the right, a post[ahem]modern version from Charles Nolan):

On clutches (from Kate Spade),



On dresses with pluuunging necklines (from DVF). The actress Katherine Heigl wore this to an event recently.



While I like this look from a distance (say, from a magazine page to me), I can’t get past the Granny-chic element to incorporate one into my wardrobe.

In fact, I think that bows look best on beaux:

Hello, Mr. Darcy!



Lovely to see you, Mr. Ferrars!



These are some beaux I’d be happy to tie . . . umm . . . oh never mind!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

your puns always make me laugh! i'm all about bows for fall since they're so versatile...at times sexy, other times preppy!

WendyB said...

Yay for bows. But especially boob and butt bows.

Kelly said...

I like them in magazines and on models, but whenever I try them on I think, "am I accidentally in an old lady store?"

I don't think Katherine Heigl looked very good in that DVF, which is a shame because I think it looks great on the model...

Miss Cavendish said...

C/C, Once a pun takes form, I'm at its mercy.

Wendy, Try those bows as beaux and see what happens.

Kelly, I agree with you on KH--the bodice was floppy and ill-fitting.

Anonymous said...

You know, I've tried a few bows & while I actually do like the look, I always feel like it's not me. I really should try again.

& love Mr. Darcy! (who doesn't?)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. It all makes me want to go home, curl up with the felines, and have an Austenfest.

Deborah said...

I've always liked bows but I think as we get older we need to be careful about how we use them in our wardrobe.

Richel said...

I just want to be in a jane austen book now.

Elizabeth said...

Oh how clever, "bows look best on beaux."

Anonymous said...

I'm 100% bow phobic. I think they look prissy and librarian-ish, spinster-ish and grandmotherly. Sexless in the extreme. Hugh Grant and Colin Firth excepted.