Sunday, August 3, 2008

Summer Wraps

I was reading the NYT today and saw Bill Cunningham’s photos of women wearing summer dresses with mufflers—to combat the workplace air conditioning.

While I like the look, this perpetually overheated fashionista (I credit this phenomenon to my Canadian tempera-ture-ment) couldn’t imagine donning neckwear on the street in summer, no matter how gauzy and cottony soft.

I’d carry a wrap in my bag and accessorize at the office; my street wraps usually include spinach and sprouts.

But in an ironic moment of taking fashion’s pulse, I did order three Indian-print long scarves from Anohki before leaving for vacation and expect to receive them tomorrow. Will I wear them this August? Maaaybe, while preening in front of a mirror chez moi, but I’ll probably save them for my cashmere cardis in early September.

And always on point, the lovely pve illustrated the same phenomenon. Love the slouchy posture, the sheath, the sandals, and the cropped hair.

I’ve been paying attention to short crops, as I have a salon visit on Wednesday and am seriously contemplating short layers. But that’s another post . . . And all this talk about wraps is making me hungry. Bon appetit!

11 comments:

WendyB said...

I'm definitely the type to carry the wrap in my bag, rather than around my neck.

Couture Carrie said...

Pretty! I loooooved that street style spread in today's Sunday Styles!

Anonymous said...

i love how your wraps usually have spinach and sprouts. so cute. i'm loving this option and think that lightweight scarves are such a fabulous option. i usually tie one around a bag or just throw it inside and then i have it for later on when i'm getting blasted by arctic air conditioner.

K.Line said...

I wear my pashmina exactly like that photo - but only in the office when the AC is on ridiculous. Oh, and very occasionally this summer, when it was acting like winter, I had to use it as a wrap while walking home. I think it's insane to wear a scarf in the summer...

Kelly said...

I think summer scarfs are nutty. Even in a/c, unless you have it wrapped around your shoulders it isn't going to do much to warm up your chill. I did buy one that I wore once in the spring before it got too hot, and I've put it away until early fall.

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

I can tolerate (only just) wearing a tee in summer let alone a scarf...what's next mink muff's to stop the air con drying out ones hands?

Songy said...

yay.. I really liked that NY video. never knew that something like that existed. learn everyday I guess. is that guy with star printed scarf really cute?? or is it just me.

i love wraps with all shapes and sizes.. looking for a pashmina wrap with black flower print.. hard to find though.

^^ songy

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to start digging wraps and scarves for summer, but as someone who always prefers to have her neck covered, I'm loving this trend now. Let us know if those print scarves go into rotation before fall!

Angela said...

i always have a wrap in my bag as i am always cold and i live in sunny california. but i have been using a thin long scarf to accent tees and tops for those cooler summer desert nights.

Elizabeth said...

Boy, I'd love to see a short haircut on you. Heck, I'd love to see any picture of you, but I know you don't post photos. I'll just have to imagine your new short haircut—if you get it.

Miss Cavendish said...

My long scarves arrived yesterday and they are wonderful . . . Maybe I'll rethink this trend!