Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Maria Pinto Rocks the DNC


In my lifetime, North American political dressing has never inspired me—Jackie Kennedy was lovely, but I was too young at the time; Laura Bush dresses herself like a lady, but she's not a style leader; Margaret Trudeau was too hippie; Mila Mulroney too-too.

But last night I couldn’t take my eyes from the stunning turquoise dress that Michelle Obama wore to give her speech at the Democratic National Convention.

The double v-neck, the bracelet sleeves, the fitted shape, the sunburst pin, and, especially, the color, were just stunning.


Chicago native Maria Pinto is the designer, and her clothes can be found at Barneys, Saks, and Takashimaya.

I’d wear this dress in a heartbeat.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too. Her style is so effortlessly elegant, and yet so ... un-boring! Ahhh, bless our girl Michelle.

WendyB said...

I was just Googling Margaret Trudeau the other day. Such a character!

Anonymous said...

yay for michelle! i loved this look too and i think she always pulls herself together perfectly.

Elizabeth said...

Mrs. Obama is a style leader, and good for her. She's in a tough spot, trying to be current, but not seem trendy, trying to be chic, but not elitist/spendthrift.

She does very well, every time. I wonder how many style/fashion advisers she has on her staff?

Anonymous said...

Although I didn't watch this last night, I usually think Mrs. Obama needs a good tailor. She's attractive but her clothes could fit a little better. Just judging from the picture, the dress might have benefitted from a nip and tuck? She's an attractive woman and wears simple very well.

Miss Cavendish said...

I was worried about the tailoring issue when I posted this picture (I thought it showed off the color the best of all I've seen). On television the dress didn't seem as lumpy as it does here . . .

Anonymous said...

In a Washington Post style profile of Michelle, Robin Givhan mentioned that, in one photo-example, Michelle was wearing an old Azzedine Alaia belt with her Maria Pinto.

Azzedine Alaia in the White House! Mindboggling.

It would be exciting to have a real trend setter as First Lady. Clothing only one of the many trends set, of course!

What does she have on

Songy said...

good for her. dressing appropriately in her position will be pretty tough. No matter what she does someone will say something nasty. That's a great colour and suits her really well!

Miss Cavendish said...

Isn't it great about the AA belt?! (I mentioned it in my Purple Reines post a few weeks ago; I was so thrilled.)