Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bath-ing Beauties

Yesterday, when looking for something, I found something else. And then something else yet again.

Here’s my first find, above, a “vintage” image of Angela Lindvall wearing a Tom Ford for YSL dress.

This was back in the day when YSL made that great brown suede Nadja bag (a rose) and he traced the rose through other items in his collection as well. I ordered the bag from BG, and thought it was poorly crafted (globs of glue on the seams—ick!).

I didn’t have the opportunity to try the dress, but I must have been smitten, because I saved the clipping all these years. And yes, I still like it!

I have another watery find too: this charming map of Bath:



My small then-family-of-three visited one summer. We went to the Pump Room, sampled some of the (awful!) sulphur water, and walked and walked and walked.

Would the YSL dress have been right for the restorative Bath waters? Probably not, but it’s pretty to imagine an updated Austen heroine wearing it.

7 comments:

Shani said...

That dress really is beautiful, and while I've always wanted to visit the Pump Room, the thought of the water has always made me a little wary. Did Jane Austen ever describe the waters in any of her novels? While I remember the scenes, I don't remember the waters! I may have to flip back through and see...

WendyB said...

I love finding old clippings.

materfamilias said...

I love that serendipity of looking for one thing and finding another -- at least, if the other is a good thing, as yours are.
We visited Bath when our two oldest were very young -- the five-year old lost a balloon there and then, in the upset, left behind a little pouch of treasures a great-aunt had given her. Perhaps we should have drunk the sulphurous water to really cement her feelings about the city . . .

M said...

Old clippings are the best. The map looks like something I would find in my grandmother's huge pile of clippings and magazines from old times.

WendyB said...

Come to my blog. You won...something.

Angie Muresan said...

Miss Cavendish, I'd just love to be in your class! I'd love to hear you pick apart literature and fashions.

Elizabeth said...

I loved Bath when I visited. I agree the dress might not be suitable for the walking and walking and walking (me too) one does there, but it is certainly ideal for other things.