Sunday, October 25, 2009

Hoop Skirts at the City Opera of New York

Every great dress can use a little underwire support, no? Or perhaps hundreds of under, over, and middle wires?

These images are from the promenade of the David Koch theater at Lincoln Center, home of the City Opera of New York. Artist E. V. Day transformed dresses from the opera’s massive wardrobe into sculptures, installing them from perilous heights overhead.



And by the way, it’s OK to look up these skirts—you don’t want to miss the stunning petticoats and visible underlayers. But be discrete, kind sir . . .

10 comments:

M said...

My waist hurts from just looking at these.... I will never forget the scene from "The Piano" where all the underwires of Holly Hunter's skirt are exposed. Thank God I was not born during that era. That said, I love admiring these garments - they're like pieces of art.

Ivy said...

I know someone who once staged a two person performance of The Hunchback of Notre Dame in which Esmeralda was played by a pink ball gown.

Liberty London Girl said...

ooooh I'm heading into the city tomorrow. SO going to see this. Thanks for the heads up. LLGxx

Angie Muresan said...

Wow! They had some serious wiring going on, didn't they? Must have hurt like hell to wear! Still, so beautiful to look at.

The Mighty J said...

Love the idea of being able to see them from the bottom! When no one is wearing them of course LOL

Angela said...

omg it is amazing.

Elizabeth said...

oh my gaaaaaawwwwwwwwd is that clever. Thanks so much for showing this, miss cavendish. I'd have missed it completely otherwise.

Mary-Laure said...

I read about this in the NY Times, and it really sounds and looks extraordinary.

La Belette Rouge said...

The displaying of these dresses in this fashion really ads to the oopmph of impact. Really well done. It makes me look at the dresses so differently. I see the architecture, the structure, the design and not just the dress.

wild thyme flowers said...

Wow, I would have loved to have seen this in person. But thank you Miss Cavendish for sharing!