Thursday, October 8, 2009

Feeling Blue

Way back when I worked in a corporate job, I wore a perfect blue shirt.

It was trim, had a collar, and was a flawless blue, the slightly chalky but vibrant Wedgewood-y color that was worn in smart offices during the late 1990s. I wore it with my navy trouser suit, with a gray flannel pencil skirt, with black pants, and always felt dressed.

My style is much freer now, having given up the corporate world for something more creative, but I still yearn for a perfect blue shirt.

I know that perfect white shirts are more the buzzphrase, but I’ve worn enough white shirts to last me a lifetime: during grades ten through twelve at boarding school (with a necktie!!), during summers waiting tables (and now I can’t imagine ever wearing a white/black combination either).

So I was cheered when I saw the above shirt at YSL. Sure, the collection has been critiqued as being too “minimal,” but this shirt could be quite maximal in impact, with its brilliant color, slight sailor feel, and puff sleeves.

7 comments:

Mary-Laure said...

I was wearing a blue shirt today! A crisp cotton number by Masaki Matsushima, with a "Claudine" collar (ie, small Peter Pan collar). I adore it.

Angie Muresan said...

I know what you mean! I used to have the perfect blue shirt myself. Alas, the cleaners ruined it. I still think about it from time to time.

Elizabeth said...

Nothing's ever too minimal for me. In fact, I was thinking this shirt was pretty ornate!

I love it though.

La Belette Rouge said...

There is nothing minimal about that shirt. It is loaded with wow factor and is a far cry from your white school uniform tops.

Mardel said...

That shirt is minimal!?. Not to my eye; or does minimal mean anything without ruffles or bows these days? It is fabulous though!

Belle de Ville said...

I still have lots of blue shirts left over from my finance career and I love them with black and navy blue pencil skirts.
But none are so nice as the one in your photo.

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Oh I like blue shirts! I have a lovely Margaret Howell one with those sleeves that you roll up with a button tab. Only problem is, it's a bloody nightmare getting a jacket over the sleeves -doh!