Monday, October 19, 2009

Waving the Flag

What is it about the Union Jack that inspires designers?

I love it, myself, and have been experiencing shivers of delight with these creative designs. Above is Becky Oldfield of Lost and Found stitching together a gorgeous flag collage. I *love* the various faded blues and valiant reds that keep holding on to their color.

Below is a set of charming deck chairs from Lost and Found. I don’t know if I could sit in these, so content would I be to gaze upon them . . .




And Pattie Boyd showed up in the pages of T Magazine this weekend. Is that a flag-bearing Beatle on her nose?


Postscript: has anyone read Sarah Lyall’s The Anglo Files? In yet another convergence of design and desire, Mr. C. pointed out this book to me on the weekend.



Well, then: I’d better call it a night—before anyone’s attention starts to flag . . .

4 comments:

Belle de Ville said...

Why does post just want to make me hum "I'm a Union Jack and I'm OK" to to tune of Monty Python's "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK"?

Elizabeth said...

Waving the banner for UJ lovers everywhere: I love the flag, but I appreciate it from afar. I don't have the guts to wear it.

Ivy said...

I have read "The Anglo Files" and it was delightful. She's a crisp writer and very observant. I was struck by the overlap in culture between haute New England WASP and English county women. It made me wonder whether there's a class like that in every country. Enjoy.

Also, a great cover.

Miss Cavendish said...

Thank you, Ivy! It will be my Christmas break reading pleasure . . .