Friday, October 9, 2009

The Unflappable Flapper Top


This fall I ordered a piece from J Crew that I fully expected to return. The catalogue calls it a tiered silk camisole; I call it a flapper top because it makes me want to dance the Charleston.

I ordered the raisin shade and worried that the tiers might be unflattering because they don’t signal a defined waist, but I couldn’t have been more wrong.



I’ve worn this flapper top on its own with a pencil skirt, under a magenta cardigan with trim black trousers, and today under an aubergine blazer with the same pants. In fact, I’m wearing it so much that I just may consider it in another fall color—perhaps copper!

Do you ever buy/order something that you anticipate not working but are pleasantly surprised?

5 comments:

Make Do Style said...

Yes you get these little gems and somehow they are inexplicable!

materfamilias said...

I never order, always shop in bricks-and-mortar where I try on first, but I have been surprised by one or two items -- an orange-pink-taupe scarf I bought this summer, convinced I couldn't wear orange, and in this combo I not only can but I get compliments every time I wear it. Sadly, the reverse is more often true that garments I think I'll wear a lot turn out to be less practical than I'd anticipated.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving -- wish I could send you a slice of the pumpkin pie! (It's such a fabulous holiday for teaching academics, giving me a day off classes just when I really need it)

Elizabeth said...

Yes! I've been lucky in the past few months. I've got several things I live in now, that I was very skeptical of when I ordered them. Two J.Crew t-shirts, for example, and some Nike track pants. (:P track pants, I know, but I have the perfect excuse—a job in the gym.)

This top seems absolutely perfect for the image of miss cavendish that I have in my mind.

Mardel said...

Sometimes it is the things that I believe won't work that prove to be the best discoveries.

Belle de Ville said...

I am usually more than happy with what I order online.
Yes, you should go for the copper one too.