Friday, October 9, 2009

Bedlington or Bedlam? Alexander McQueen's 2010 Spring/Summer Shoes

The other night Imelda posted a story on Alexander McQueen’s new shoe silhouette and I’ve been returning to those images again and again.

Although this shoe is probably unwearable at this height (12 inches?!), its shape is literally breathtaking.

Jolie laide? Perhaps.

But I love its clean lines, which are a welcome change from all the manic embellishment that’s currently on the catwalks.





And let's forget catwalks anyway, because these shoes are more suited for the dog park. Don’t they look just like Bedlington terriers?




(For the record, I once thought that Martin Margiela made Bedlington shoes. Must be the dog of the moment. And that moment too, obv.)

10 comments:

Make Do Style said...

I keep meaning to find the 18th century shoe this is based upon.

K.Line said...

OK - you have never been so on as with this association. I howled when I read your comment on Mattie's blog.

But these shoes are horrifying. I don't mean because they're painful and unwalkable. I mean because they are hideous. Sorry to be so blunt (like the nose of one of these puppies). It's just how I feel. :-)

Miss Cavendish said...

S'funny; part of me *wants* to agree that they're hideous, but I'm in thrall! I heart them (but would never wear them).

Belle de Ville said...

I understand that the catwalk is all about theater...but I just would have loved to have seen all those models fall over domino style because of those shoes.

Thumbelina Fashionista said...

I'm with KLine: they're hideous. ANd scary.

Liberty London Girl said...

That is BRILLIANT! It had been bugging what they reminded me of, and it is the dogs. Thank you LLGxx

Elizabeth said...

What a great connection! I love the shoes and the dogs, though neither looks entirely "wearable."

I love the insanity of those shoes.

Angie Muresan said...

They remind me of a caravan of camels crossing the North African deserts, loaded with treasure.

hmstrjam said...

makes one think of satyrs and things with cloven hoof

The Preppy Princess said...

You nailed this one, I love it!
Sending you a smile,
tp