Friday, December 4, 2009

Ah Bartleby! Ah Novel-T!*


High fashion it is not, but I was amused by one of the new Word Series t-shirts from Novel-T . . .

This one from Herman Melville’s “Bartleby the Scrivener”:


Remember Bartleby? He was the human photocopier who worked on Wall Street and asserted himself by “preferring not” to do any more work.

(Crispin Glover plays a postmodern version of the character in Bartleby, an odd little film from 2000 that out-Offices “The Office.”)



And this is a recent mixed-media interpretation of Bartleby from Diary of a Lost Girl:




Would you wear one? Or would you prefer not to?


*(Instead of “Ah Bartleby! Ah humanity!” [the final lines of the story].)

5 comments:

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

"I prefer not to," is a phrase I often say -- to myself.

WendyB said...

I prefer not to do a lot of things.

Elizabeth said...

Never seen "Bartleby." I need to get with it!

Angie Muresan said...

I prefer not to. And that model should have preferred not to as well. She's too curvy for the style.

Thumbelina Fashionista said...

Do you think I can get away with wearing that tee on a Staff Development Day?