Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Proud as a (Liberty) Peacock

I adore Liberty of London prints, but tend to prefer them on bags (the store has lovely wash bags) or quilts (which I make) or bunting (which looks pretty on a fireplace) instead of on clothing.

Why? The shirt styles that Liberty sells are rather conservative, and though I do have a summery one, it needs to be funked up a bit before wearing. Further, the prints do code as sweet, and while sweet works nicely in summer, I like something tougher for fall and winter.

So I was delighted to rediscover Nadinoo’s blog and boutique, in which she designs and makes beautiful shirts and dresses (and more!) from Liberty fabrics, both sweet and edgy.

Edgy, you say? Liberty?

I think that the peacock print above is a wonderfully sharp, deco-inspired reimagining of Liberty’s classic peacock fabric. In fact, I have used it in bunting and now I’m looking forward to receiving the above shirt as a cadeau de Noel.

How to style it? I’m not a big tucker-in, so I’m thinking of a super skinny gold belt, for prettiness, or a super skinny studded leather belt, for edginess.

And yes, I’d absolutely wear that headpiece, if I could make/find one!


Re: the rediscovery: I originally found Nadinoo through Wee Birdy, some months ago, and rediscovered her the other week through A Cup of Jo.

9 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

oooh pretty! And I love your styling ideas!

~kristie~ said...

beautiful top

www.thesocietyofstyle.com

~kristie~ said...

I saw Alber's artwork for the ball on Sea of Shoes' blog! So very talented!

I noticed you're a professor of literature...what genre do you teach?! (I was an English major in college and books are my fav, next of fashion, of course)!

www.thesocietyofstyle.com

Null said...

I love peacocks-a-deco any day. The jewel tones are fabulous, but I'd shy away from too much metallic as this model shows. I think that can make it too costumey and play down the sophisticated elements of the shirt itself. what do you think?

materfamilias said...

I can see why you'd be eye-ing that fabric!

Angie Muresan said...

I think a super skinny gold belt would be very pretty.

K.Line said...

Oh, I totally have to check out that site. And I love the photo you used in this post...

WendyB said...

Yep, that's a nice print.

Make Do Style said...

I agree I love her Liberty garments.