Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Soho Adventures, Part I: James Wolanin

Today, just as we were leaving Soho with three well-fed, wind-blown, and exhausted children, Mr. C and I happened down West Broadway and came to a standstill in front of Campton Gallery.

Staring us down in the vitrine was this painting by James Wolanin. The artist works in acrylic and, once the colors are down, in a rather radical act, he layers the painting with a coating of resin, giving it a surfboard-cool quality.

I love the color of the car, the fact that these girls are driving by Harlem’s Cotton Club, and the joyful expressions on their faces. I’d like this painting even more if it were on my wall, but the virtual wall of my blog home will have to do for now.

1 comment:

M said...

They look like they don't have a problem in the whole world... I love the sunny vibe of this painting.