Sunday, December 6, 2009

Phoebe Philo: Pastry to Go

After looking at my gaily decorated Christmas tree for a week now, I’m ready for some palate cleansing.

Plus yesterday for brunch I enjoyed some delicious pancakes made with pastry flour (oh, what a difference it makes!!), and would like an amuse bouche in that department as well.

So, playing a genial game of word association, I connected pastry flour with philo pastry, which, in turn, led me to Phoebe Philo, whose RTW collection for Celine proves to be anything but flaky.

Although I usually eschew black for being too harsh, these two pieces above and below are terrific examples of power dressing that ask for only a great pair of shoes (not the ones shown, please). (OK: I know that the jewelry aficionadi and thoughtful designers who are gentle readers would insist on at least one piece of statement jewelry. Done!)



In this season when trees and houses and boxes and people are beribboned and swagged and lit up and tinseled, it’s a pleasure to slip into a little minimalism, if only in one’s mind.

7 comments:

LPC said...

I am so with you on this. For decades now I've realized that I'm always loving the lines doing minimalist stuff. Clean, simple, empty canvas, hooray.

WendyB said...

Thanks for the jewelry exception!

Belle de Ville said...

Minimalist clothes...major jewelry,
a match made in heaven.

Angie Muresan said...

You are very clever Miss C., and now you've gotten me hungry, and this week I really want to limit my carb intake since I'm to attend my friend's party Friday night, and it is the party of the year, around these parts. Perhaps I will go stare at my frock for a good ten minutes to forget about pastries and pancakes.

Null said...

Angie, why don't you just take the pancakes into the conceptual realm? That way you never have to be physically confronted with such gastronomic delights (btw, our pancakes will have pastry flour in them next time. I'm telling my hubby now since he does weekend breakfast).

M.C., do I get you. It's nice to take a directed line in a season that over exposes the senses. Thanks for the reprieve.

SabinePsynopsis said...

Power dressing in a good way, no? I love the dresses and do not miss any jewelry here. Sabine x

Make Do Style said...

I so love her new collection for Celine - now all I need it the deep pockets laden with gold!